Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Blogger Frustrated With Bloggers

I wish I got paid a dollar for every patently false and inflaming headline I see in gaming blogs these days. I know people are trying to drive hits to their pages, but what about having a bit of integrity to what you are reporting?

I pretty much write in this thing as a personal outlet about my thoughts on gaming and being a game developer. I have another blog on Livejournal that I save for the personal stuff, mostly because no one there wants to read about whether or not I'm having a good time in Left 4 Dead this week or not.

I can only venture to guess that people would write headlines like "Sony Screws the NXE" and other such drivel to drive traffic to their sites, because these allegations drive hits.

Over the past year or two, I've seen these kinds of headlines about this or that company, and I just don't understand how people can just throw integrity out the window and post wild opinions as news on these "news" sites.

Just recently, I read that Midway Games is supposedly blaming Unreal 3 on their financial woes. The reporter of this news fails to go any deeper into what was really said by Midway, and instead makes this sensation claim, as if they could blame all of their troubles on one engine among all of the engines that they use, and all of their 3rd party products. What really was said was, they spent too much time customizing the engine, without having any real experts on it, which ended up costing them time and quality in the end. In other words, they shouldn't have opened up the hood on the car when they didn't know how to fix the parts they ripped out.

Maybe it sounds lousy that I'm sitting here defending 2 companies, both that I have worked for, but they are the most recent examples of this behavior. I find it intensely annoying, and it makes me want to quit reading some of these websites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, my RSS feed is so unwieldy that I've started a 3 strikes policy. Blogs that post stupidly or maliciously more than once or twice simply get removed. My blood pressure is much improved although I've lost a couple of the big hitters in the process.

Admin said...

LiveJournal, ay? Add me as a friend:
siberianlocust is my name :)