Monday, June 22, 2009

Oh Midway

It bums me out when I hear all of the news about the crumbling game giant Midway.

I worked there for almost 12 years, and that place was like a second home to me more than many of you can imagine due to how much overtime I spent there.

It really pushes my buttons to hear that Ed Boon is twittering about his next Mortal Kombat game while my friends are packing their desks in San Diego.

I still remember the day when those guys bought us out. Back then the company in San Diego was known as Leland Interactive Media. They made games like Offroad Challenge, John Elway's Quarterback and Dragons Lair. They made so many promises back then, and truthfully the company did really well for a number of years.

Almost every 3rd party title that came out of Midway over the last 15 years came out of San Diego, IE the games that kept them afloat long enough to make lots of lukewarm Mortal Kombat, Blitz, and NBA Jam sequels in Chicago. It's sad that this is one of the studios that doesn't make the cut.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Worked as a temp for Midway San Diego-it was fun.. you were great!! A good group of guys. I was let go right before Christmas, as was the trend with the temps, but it was a good time while it lasted. Nice to see you are doing well!!!

Long Live Freaky Flyers!!!