Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Electronics Woes

Back in the day when I used to be a game tester for Midway, my ability to crash programs and hardware was considered an asset. I always had the uncanny ability to be able to crash a game if I really wanted to break it, so much so that they eventually nicknamed me "Crash Kramer".

The unfortunate side effect of this weird Matrix-like ability to interface with machines and software means I have an uncanny amount of electronics failures in my household.

I've done through 3 routers since I've been with my wife for example. They eventually just stop working.

Anyways, those of you that have been reading this blog for any length of time might remember my Xbox 3 rings of death debacle, which ended up being a six month saga of me not having a working 360.... Well, the PS3 has decided to die now too.

Since I work for Sony you would think that I would have some kind of easy street way of getting the thing repaired but no. I got the machine on launch day, so its out of warranty, and they want $150.00 to repair it sight unseen, which means they are just going to send me a refurbished machine without even trying to troubleshoot mine. That means losing all the data on my harddrive including my saved games for both ps3 and ps2 games. Wow does this suck!!

My biggest fear of sending the machine out is, I'm afraid they are doing to send me one of those 20 gig machines that don't have the hardware backwards compatability that mine does. I paid for this feature, I bought it on day one, and I want to keep it!

This is just failure one.

My cel phone is dead. I have one of the first gen Blackjacks and it does not want to find a signal at all. AT&T can't figure out what's wrong with it. It's out of warranty too, so they won't replace it, and I'm two months away from a phone "upgrade" that allows me to get an iphone at the $199.00 pricepoint.

I wasn't aware that the iphone pricepoint was based on some kind of new contract with AT&T and that everyone that bought the new one had to be eligible for a new phone at that time.

Are you telling me that every single person that traded in their old iphone for the new one just happened to have their contract available for a new phone that day at that price? Something doesn't make sense here. I'm literally being told I can't buy one till 2 months from now, and that I have to buy an interim phone if I want to use a cel phone at all right now. This sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. I wish I knew someone in the phone industry to help me set the record straight because it makes no sense to me at all.

My computer was starting to freak out and not let me see networks just before I moved out here, which prompted me to get a discounted version of Vista from a friend here at work. I ended up reformatting the harddrive and lost all of my Assmetal music stuff in the process, but now everything works again.

My Ipod is forgetting it has songs on it as well... There are certain songs on my ipod that just wont play anymore, and I can't figure out for the life of me why this would happen.

I'm over it really I am.

No comments: